Sunday, January 25, 2009

What's your status?

"I'm on Facebook. Are you?"

It was nearly a year ago when a friend ended an email to me with this question. I was surprised she'd asked since it didn't seem like her kind of thing, this online social media stuff which back then I associated with college students, that generation for whom I babysat, those kids who downloaded music that if I were listen to would suddenly make me -- me! -- feel old. I also figured FB was more a spot to score hook-ups (or worse, thanks to those icky news reports of child molesters scouring online sites like MySpace).

My friend -- a beautiful, smart, classy woman who reminds me of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -- certainly didn't fit the profile. Even after she told me she was on FB, I told myself I probably wouldn't ever go there, wouldn't be one of those people who seemingly get so tech-driven that they choose cyber interactions over the real-live kind. Emailing, texting, a writers' online forum - those were enough for me.

But Facebook kept popping up in conversation. "It's great!" my poised friend assured me. And then other friends -- intelligent, thoughtful, same-age-as-me friends -- started telling me the same. "You can share pictures of your kids...You can find long-lost friends you haven't seen in ages -- people you really want to find again!"

So, what's a girl like me to do? I'm cut from the curious cloth, after all, so what in the world was I waiting for? Shouldn't I find out for myself what all the fuss was about? So I did.

Now, I could be wrong, but I think Facebook and me, we're past the honeymoon phase. So I think I'm safe to share thoughts about this incredibly delicious time-suck without sounding overly excited and naive. I've gone through the initial overwhelm, the subsequent confusion, the surprising stings, the absolute awe and the tiring addiction. What I haven't reached, though I'm sure it's not far off, is what a friend so eloquently describes as "The Facebook Plateau." (Though even she acknowledged it was probably just the peach schnapps talking when she typed that status update...which reminds me, drunk facebooking = bad idea. Or so I've, um, heard.)

What stands out most to me, about three months into FB, is the sheer amount of people joining in. And I don't think this is really a case of me coming late to the party. I believe Facebook is spreading like wildfire, among people of all ages. Actually, it's pretty true if you look at the numbers: 150 million people across the globe are Facebook users as of Jan. 7, 2009, with half of these people logging in every day (yep, me included). Not bad for a 5-year-old site initially created by a Harvard whiz who wanted a simple way for his classmates to post profiles, browse or search for fellow students, view uploaded pictures and share their affiliations and interests. You can read more about 24-year-old Mark Zuckerberg's amazing feat here.

I wonder sometimes if Facebook's allure will fade, if we all won't tire of it and end up wondering what we were on when we spent so much time telling our network we're "busy folding whites," "watching the game," "excited about a kid-free night out!" or "about to sit down with a glass of wine." Will we think it's strange that we chose hanging out virtually (i.e. spying on our "friends") over in-person conversation with our neighbors, our kids, our partners?

And what about those status updates anyway? Does anyone else feel the pressure of being at your wittiest, your funniest, your best when you post something? I read a very clever article recently by Los Angeles writer Patricia Beauchamp about status envy. Here's a snippet of that article, the entirety of which you can read here:

"The underlying truism to the saying 'The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence' is that appearances are deceiving. But since Facebook has added a new level of voyeurism to surveying your neighbor's yard, I find myself wondering, more than I would like to, whether other people's lives really are better. After all, we have access to our friends' photos, videos and correspondence -- most everything but their tax returns -- which tend to support whatever claims they're making. If Casey's update says she "is living in paradise, being waited on hand and foot by a league of celebrity look-alikes," chances are that pictures will follow."

But, still. Let me say this: I find Facebook incredible cool, and honestly think it's pretty genius. Here are just a few reasons why:

* I'm truly feeling more connected with people who live in the same city as me. It's not that I don't want to talk with friends and family in person, it's just that none of us has the time! Now, yes, I still gab with friends in real life at coffee shops and restaurants. I see my parents and in-laws on a regular basis. I am not a hermit crab sitting in my pjs, staring at a computer screen all day long (at least, not most days). But, all that said, I now know more about what my friends and family are up to, are interested in and are talking about because of Facebook. They share what they want to share online, and I do the same. It's simple, it's easy, it's done on our own time. And it ends up enhancing our face-to-face time.

* There was a reason I was great friends with certain people from my past. Who is to know if I ever would have really made amends with one of my high school BFFs if it wasn't for Facebook (time and maturity has helped too, yes). Somehow, sharing photos of our kids and updating each other on our lives online has eased the silly-yet-real pain we caused each other all those years ago. Cheers to that!

* I never wanted to lose touch with some individuals - but life happens. I felt like I hit a Facebook jackpot the night I connected with friends I had while working at my college newspaper. I'm not kidding you when I say I felt like I unlocked a part of myself that desperately needed to be dusted off when I found these people and caught up with them. I was reminded why I went into the profession I am in and how these people were there when I was discovering this important part of myself.

* It's a new way of networking. Lately I've been intrigued by how we can help one another grow our businesses, whether we're working for a company or for ourselves. I love how people are posting their ventures and asking others to become "fans." Writer friends share links to their articles as well as suggest things to read. Good for us, I say. I suppose as a writer I am especially interested in new and different things happening in the world, but I think we all are. We all like to be connected, to know what's going on, especially when it comes to people we know. Facebook gives us that opportunity. And even non-businesses can get a boost --like my book club. A few of us have been talking lately about how we can discuss books in between gatherings via Facebook, now that we're all online. That's a pretty cool thing.

I can only imagine things will get even more interesting on Facebook as time goes on. One thing I think about is how we'll handle our kids wanting to open an account. So far, we deal with whose turn it is to play Webkinz when it comes to computer usage. But that will change soon enough, I know.

What do you love most about Facebook? What could you do without? And most importantly, What are you doing right now?

**UPDATE: Came across this funny video about Facebook etiquette today...**

No comments: