Friday, January 2, 2009

26.2 = crazy?

In one of those serendipitous moments that come along now and again, my friend Meg handed me the Spirit of the Marathon DVD the day after I signed up for my first marathon. I hadn't heard about this 2007 documentary until Meg mentioned how she'd just watched it and was completely moved by the film's following of both first-time and veteran runners preparing for the Chicago Marathon. We often recommend movies to each other, and this one was a definite one to watch, she told me.

I must say this before I go on: No one is more surprised than I that I'm digging running these days. Well, maybe my high school girlfriends, one of whom I saw this past week and who just stared at me a little slack-jawed and a bit speechless when the topic came up and I shared how I'd decided to sign up for the Bayshore Marathon. Not that I was a complete couch potato or anything back in the day, but I was decidedly not the cross-country running type. I didn't much care for exercise of any kind, really, unless you count my perfecting of a toe-touch. Voluntarily running mile after mile, going round and round a track? Now why in the world would anyone choose to do that?

But a lifetime later, I find myself taking time out of my days to lace up and run the roads and trails, even in the cold and snow, which really is mind-boggling if you think about it. I've subjected myself to several races even. And the kicker is that most of the time I actually like this madness. Even so, what's struck me in the past few years that I've taken to this sport is just how hard it is. Sure, some days are easier than others - the hills don't kill you as badly and your lungs and legs don't feel like they'll give at any moment - but really, it's a challenge each and every time. Not just physically, but mentally. Why go run when there's so many other things to do? When you could just as easily sit and veg?

That's why I loved this documentary so much. It answers that question of why anyone in their right mind would agree to run 26.2 miles. (History buffs will like learning about the origin of 'marathon' and there's some fascinating info on the 26.2-mile distance and how it affects our bodies.) Watching this affirmed my belief that running truly is a metaphor for life. There's days you're loving what you're doing, when your world of family, work and friends is jiving so well and you can't imagine things getting much better....and then, there's times you just want to give up, or at the very least, stop for awhile to catch your breath and maybe take a different route. But no matter what, you keep going, even when you don't want to or don't think you can, usually because you somehow find that inner strength and if you're lucky, have amazing people in your life to cheer you on.

One of my favorite lines from the film is from women's running pioneer Kathrine Switzer: "You triumph over the adversity, that's what the marathon is all about. And therefore you know there isn't anything in life you can't triumph over after that." (Kathrine, by the way, was the first woman to officially enter and run the Boston Marathon, nearly getting kicked out while she ran because she was female. Love her.)

This movie spoke to me because I run, but even if I didn't, I imagine I'd be inspired by these six individuals and their stories of how training for a marathon changed their lives. Check out the trailer, or better yet, watch this movie. Love it? Think I'm nuts? Let me know - I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

P.O.M. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. And we're all a little stalkish in this blog world. ha ha.

I haven't seen the movie yet. But it's on my list. I might wait until I figure out my next marathon and need some extra motivation.

Congrats on signing up for your first! It's such an amazing experience.

Heather Johnson Durocher said...

Thanks, P.O.M.! Hope you're catching some fun there on your trip....